Sunday, April 12, 2009

And now back to my critical side.

Honestly, I'm seeing more and more how this blog is just an outlet for my critical side, which I don't reveal often.  I wish I could be more comfortable showing that side of me to people without fear of being judged or dismissed.  I write this blog to an audience, but only two other people know about this blog.  So, I'll keep writing, and hopefully I'll get the courage and opportunity to mention it or list it on facebook as my blog.

I found an April 7th Daily Universe article (the headline, in fact) unintentionally amusing (the phrase I use is that I find things like this "perversely humorous"). 

Anyway, the article's called "Parents bring focus back to the Savior" and describes how parents teach their children about the real meaning of Easter and don't let the commercialized aspect overwhelm them.  One parent says they do the Easter egg hunt on Saturday.  Another makes cookies where all the ingredients represent the Atonement (sorry, but I think that's weird.  I'd feel weird/guilty eating those cookies). All the parents were quoted as saying were uplifting things they did to make Easter religious-from making weird cookies to having a Sunday Easter FHE.  But every single kid quoted said that their favorite part of Easter was finding the Easter baskets or making eggs.  Every single one.  I like this quote:

"I love the Easter Bunny," Connor said.  "I like to make eggs and the egg hunt."

"I like when we color  paint on the eggs" Alexis said.  "I like to do glitter ones.  It's really fun."

Alexis said she also likes to learn about Jesus.

Does she now?  Then why didn't you quote her saying that?  Including only quotes of kids where they do not mention any religious aspect of Easter as being their favorite make the author look like an idiot for the poor use of quotes or make the parents' actions seem futile and their attitudes overly confident in their parenting skills.
I say, lighten up about being religious.  Kids get it --they have pure hearts.  We should try being more like them instead of trying to make them act more like us.  Kids are not as jaded as adults and don't see the Easter bunny and egg hunts as being just commercial fluff.  It's happy and fun, and if they connect happiness to Easter, that's great.  Also, I think so much "serious stuff" goes over kids' heads, but they get it deep down.  Once I was helping out with a primary activity, and I asked a little boy if he wanted to go hear a story about Jesus.  "No!" he answered.  "I don't like Jesus!"  Puzzled, I answered, "Well, Jesus loves you.  Why don't you like him?"  "Because He's a dinosaur!!!"  Now try teaching him how a dinosaur was resurrected.  


No comments:

Post a Comment